Sunday, February 26, 2006
SO YOU THINK THATS OFFENSIVE
Well the last few weeks have been all about "The Cartoons". Although with the exception of that canker on the face on Indonesia, the Islamic Defenders Front the response in Indonesia has been fairly quiet.
However once again, the media in Indonesia has dodged its charter in a democratic nation by refusing to outright condemn the insane violence. Instead the media has tried to justify the actions of the radical few and made virtually no mention of the fact that 3 of the cartoons peddled around the Midlle East were fraudlent anyway and never published.
Of particular disappointment was Perspetif Online who claims to "sharing extraordinary viewpoints of ordinary people" when in fact they seemed to censor more than they publish.
Anyway, offensive is subjective! Below is a list of things I find offensive...its short so if you have any better ones feel free to tell me and we will raise a top ten of "offensives" we need to fix long before we start worrying about a bloody cartoon:
THE TOP TEN
1. The seemingly 90% of people who think it is perfectly acceptable to throw rubbish and plastic anywhere but into a rubbish bin. Indonesia is fast turning into a cesspool of plastic and garbage – Is respect for your own environment such a bizarre concept?
2. Mothers and Children begging at city street corners in the middle of the night whilst politicians go on accompanied junkets to Egypt but unable to come up with even one coherent post trip report. – Is there no compassion in politics?
3. Mindless Thugs and No Hopers closing down places of worship in violation of a constitution created from much sacrifice and hardship.
4. In resource rich Indonesia, only 14% of the population have access to clean (?) water
5 In times of record oil prices, Indonesia imports Oil instead of rightfully reaping a windfall due incompetence and corruption
6 One of the last remaining stands of virgin jungle in Kalimantan Indonesia is to be replaced with a Palm Oil Plantation. If you would like to help go HERE.
7 A demented mass murderer, coward, hypocrite and a alleged computer porn perv is able to gain royalties from his book whilst his victims (yes Indonesians as well) continue to suffer and mourn
8. Trading in rare and exotic animals without a thought of their condition, well being of the future of the species.
9. The treatment of women and minority groups as second class citizens
10. Evil Regents that are able to ignore the constitution and harass innocent people and drive them from their homes via violence and the burning of their homes.
Cartoons..sheesh…don’t even rate in the top 100 of offensive things.