Tuesday, August 29, 2006

an open letter

It seems I have once again trodden where "angels fear to tread" with yesterdays post BLOGG OFF. I would have thought more comments would be forthcoming on the Genocide in Sudan than the relatively inconsequential "whingers of us bloggers". An interesting social commentary on us all perhaps.

I for one acknowledge that my postings are or can be on the negative side, but most often that is borne of frustration. What frustration you ask? The glaring fact that no one seems to care or give a damn!!..Naturally the more frustration you feel the more cynical you become.

Todays Examples Alone... Ravaged rain forests and buring off with the smoke and haze effecting not only Indonesia but her neighbor's as well. Pictures in the today's paper of riverways that make you want to vomit and cry in disgust ..Thugs and bullies that seem to attract nary a word...etc etc..

And with notable and predictable exceptions ..nothing..nnaada...zip..zero

Please and I am serious here not being rude or insulting (or not trying to be) can someone explain why it is so?

Is it the people really just do not care (I can't believe that)

Is it that people are still scared to comment on those with the power to do something?

A general feeling of it won't make a difference anyway?

Don't admit errors at any cost?

Or is it just that culturally we view blogs and open comment differently?


I hope no one takes offence at the above (actaully thats not really true but I hope some take offence for the right reasons). I also hope someone can enlighten me.. I really do not understand where is the outrage? Where is the passion for the things that really effect our lives that is so evident in those things that have no effect (dare I mention playboy)?

thanks

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is it the people really just do not care (I can't believe that)

Is it that people are still scared to comment on those with the power to do something?

....


I guess the answers to many of your questions are "no".

But, the thing is, nobody has the luxury to talk about every important topics.

Anyway, a quick googling, for example, lead me to this one: 234 BLOG LINGKUNGAN INDONESIA. Many of them have nothing to with environment, for sure, but some may be of interest to environmentalist. Most are in Bahasa, however.

And, here is another google result: Hot Mud Flow. I am not following what they are talking about, though.

oigal said...

"But, the thing is, nobody has the luxury to talk about every important topics."

PD... I agree, in fact I would say about 80% of the population, with no internet access..and it would hard to worry about the fate of the blue faced ring tailed bat when you don't know how you are goin to feed your family that night..but.. those that do have the time, money, access, education don't seem to care that much..possibly I am wrong, its just an impression reading the blogs. Certainly the expat blogs would on the whole seem more opinionated (for good or bad).

I do not dispute there are many people out there doing good things but they seem to be outnumbered by the polite nice ones but lacking passion..What do you think?

Anonymous said...

I do not dispute there are many people out there doing good things but they seem to be outnumbered by the polite nice ones but lacking passion..What do you think?

I don't know, Oigal. If Blog Indonesia is any guide, about 8% of bloggers often post opinion. Most of them are Indonesians.

If I have to guess, eight percent is quite decent numbers. I mean, it is quite similar to figure in other countries.

Do "expat blogs would on the whole seem more opinionated"? Again, I don't know. Besides, I am pretty new to this Indonesia's blogosphere.

But I know some blogs about Indonesia's economy, and I think they are quite opinionated. See for example my blogroll, those Blogs on Indonesian Economy.

oigal said...

Thanks PD,

Looks like I had better do some more reading...))) Although I have to be honest whilst I think I speak Indonesia reasonably well, i find reading it difficult..always seem to come across new, unfamiliar words and almost without fail I get the context wrong..

I didn't mind the link but then IM came back..Same as I don't mind IM commenting but when you start to talk direct to one another..I just feel so used ..laugh

cheers and thanks for your comments and feedback it does help you know